Saturday, December 21, 2013

day 22: Whangarei 0 day

Today is known as the day of fate. I went out this morning and met David at the Quarry Gardens so that he could return my heart pouch to me. The fact that I was even the one who had gotten his number was lucky, and I was able to get in touch with him and he was working when I was in Whangarei. great. Just the beginning of my luck today. I bought some things that I was going to mail home to my family in the US, and on one package I elected to get the express delivery. I needed to full out the larger customs form for the express delivery. When I did that I realized that I had filled out the adress wrong. If i hadn't needed the other customs form, that package would have been lost in international mail forever with no tracking number. On the way out of the post office, I dropped another small gift from my pocket. I received a call 5 minutes later from the post office on the FINAL minute of my pre pay plan informing me that my gift was found on the floor by a patron and returned. They would not have had my number if I had not filled out the larger customs form. I thanked them and said I would be right there, because on the way out of the post office I ran into a friend from the hostel last night, and we decided to get a coffee.. right next door. I walked over 10 seconds later and received my gift back. Surely that's the end of my luck for today? Surely not! I spent a few more hours in Whangarei, and then started walking to the last bus up to the hostel. I got turned around on my way out of town, and realized I was going to miss the bus by about 2 minutes. I was not looking forward to the walk back home. Then out of nowhere I hear 'BEN!'. What. I'm in New Zealand. who knows my name? I turn around and it's none other than OT! he's just getting off his job, and offers to give me a ride back to the hostel. I walk with him back to his house and we hang out for a while chatting and then drive back up to my hostel. He lets me know when and where a great NZ music festival is in february right after Gary gets here, so I'm now looking forward to that possibility as well. I get into my hostel room and find a new group of people there that are fun and kind. We talk for a long time, and one of them, Stefanie talks to me about some nearby Glowworm caves that she wants to visit tomorrow, so I think i'm going to join her on that adventure as well. After all, Whangarei has been kind of a bust when it comes to outdoor activities. Today, however, kicked ass. It's days like these that make you think someone is out there looking out for you. What an incredible experience, just the experience of living like this has been awesome. Carpe Diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment